Monday, June 2, 2008

Graduation!


On Saturday, May 24th, 2008 I graduated from California State University, Sacramento with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Magna Cum Laude. I was also a member of the Phi Kappa Phi honor society and was listed on both the Dean’s and Chancellor’s lists. This was the end of a seven year education and is marking the beginning of my “grown-up/adult” life. While I am excited to see where my life will now take me and the many new experiences that await me, I am also a little nervous and perhaps scared. It is a time of transition for me. . . I have never really been out of school before. I plan to go back to college in 3 or 4 years to obtain my masters, but in the mean time. . . . LIFE will occur! Ha! Scary thing, life is. . .


The ceremony was everything I thought it would be. My parents, grandparents, brother and Beth and Range came out to Arco Arena to show their love and support! Thank you all!! When I walked out to “Pomp and Circumstance” there were no tears in my eyes, just pleasure of the moment. I was amazed at how packed the arena was and how much love and support was in the building. Most of the ceremony I couldn’t really understand, as the speakers and sound system was set to address the audience and not the floor of the arena where we graduates sat . . . but the feeling of excitement was still there. As they were announcing the graduates, moments of “the wave” shot through the remaining graduates that were still seated. A beach ball was momentarily air bound, before security quickly confiscated it, which resulted in tremendous “Boo’s” from the graduates and crowd. We could not keep quite and moments of noise and yells of joy were dispersed throughout the ceremony. It was finally over. . . . everything we have worked for. . . . every test we have struggled to pass. . . . every tear of frustration we have shed. . . . every stressful semester we have prayed to endure . . . it was over. The relief, I believe, was felt by all!


After the graduation, we headed off to CafĂ© Bernardo to enjoy some “brunch” before setting up for my grad party. It was wonderful.

My party happened to be at my house and we grilled some sort of teriyaki/sesame ginger chicken with rice, a mandarin salad, chocolate covered strawberries, and pineapple upside down cake. Many of my closest friends and family came out to show their support . . . which I was so thankful for. We played badminton, boggle, chatted and enjoyed each other’s company around the bonfire that night. It was a special, relaxing time in which I soaked up the reality that my education (for now) was finally over!

Thank you to all of my friends who have put up with the excuses of studying for the last 7 years. . . I know it was frustrating at times (believe me. . . it was frustrating for me that I was not able to have fun and hang out on those many C and C events, etc) but it was worth it. LET’S PARTY!! Hehe
Our game of badminton. . . . . I lost :-(
Cheerleaders!
Our intense Boggle game. . . I lost :-(
Aydin presented me with my favorite colored . . . . . foliage??? LOL

Thank you also to all of my family (friend’s are included in that word) who have put up with my fears, complaints, frustrations throughout my education and who have offered support, encouragement and a listening ear when I needed it. You all ROCK . . . and I couldn’t have done it without you!

10 comments:

Music Eloquence said...

Aww Sarah this made me want to cry! I'm such a sap... deal with it. You're special though and I'm so happy for you... the pressure is off for now. Enjoy the freedom until you begin persuing your Masters. Congrats on your high honors as well... that is so awesome. You and Ryan were always the smart ones. You rock girl!!!! I enjoyed looking at all the pictures. Love you girl.

C Hendryx said...

Sarah - Congrats again : ) keep it up and thanks for pursing and making the educational challenges less for me :)

Faith Maria Lopez said...

Congratulations Sarah!! I loved your party and stuff... I'm dieing laughing at the song you have playing on the blogg!!! roflol literally!

East Coast-er Momma said...

You know that I think you're awesome!

Vonney said...

Thanks for sharing Sarah! I know I wasn't able to make it, but in your pics it looks like you had a grand time! Love ya!

Rev. and Mrs. Zotzman's Blog said...

Sarah, congrats! You are such an awesome woman of God and I count it a privilage to know you. We enjoyed the party so much, especially playing the game of boggle with the most brilliant minds ever was awesome!

Carly said...

congratulations sarah! what an awesome achievement!

James Wilder said...

Hey...I know I came late, but I didn't get any love from the camera :( At least Emily was sort of in the background of one of the pics! haha Glad you have an opportunity to be involved now, Sarah!

Anonymous said...

It looks like I missed a good party! Congratulations!

Sarah said...

James. . . u should have shown up earlier. . . the photographer went to bed!!!

Thanks guys for coming out and making it fun! It was perfect! Now on to my next big adventure. . .