Thursday, May 29, 2008

I've been "Pinned"

On Friday evening I received my Bachelor’s of Science, Nursing pin from Sacramento State University in our official “Pinning Ceremony.”

“A nursing pin is a type of badge, usually made of metal such as gold or silver, which is worn by nurses to identify the nursing school from which they graduated. They are traditionally presented to the newly–graduated nurses by the faculty at a pinning ceremony as a symbolic welcome into the profession. Most pins have a symbolic meaning, often representing the history of the nursing program for that school of nursing.” (Wikipedia Online Encyclopedia)
My buddies!!! These girls have been with me through a lot of rough times (studying, crying, worrying) and a lot of good times (white water rafting, skiing, laughing, goofing off). . . Love you guys immensely!!
Jenna VanderDussen. . . . .
Lynde Gregg. . . . .

The Pin had symbolized, in the 19th century, which individuals were indeed nurses from those who were not. This was before nurses were licensed and registered. Today the pin and pinning ceremony is kept as a tradition, but nurses must now take a licensing examination (NCLEX) to be registered as a “safe to practice” nurse. I asked Rebecca Holmes, RN, to be my official “pinner” at the ceremony and it was truly an honor that she agreed to pin me. The evening started off with each of us graduating nursing students walking on to the stage, an address from our class president and Dr. Hanson-Smith, followed by awards and a class slideshow. We were then called up one-by-one to be pinned and to provide our pinner with a flower. It was a nice ceremony which was followed by a lovely dinner at Bandera’s restaurant.

Thank you to my mom, dad, brother, Sis. Holmes, Crystal E., Matt S., grandma and grandpa, and Janell for coming out and showing support at my pinning ceremony. You all mean so much to me!!

8 comments:

Music Eloquence said...

Congratulations again Sarah!!! You look gorgeous in these pictures. I am so proud for you.. haha. Really though.. what a great accomplishment... and for such a worthy cause. Love you lots.

James Wilder said...

CONGRATS again....
Sorry I missed your pinning! I was frustrated that I did!

Sarah said...

thanks guys!

East Coast-er Momma said...

You look wonderful! And if I could have been there you know I would have...
You've accomplished something so great!

Vonney said...

I am so proud of you! You are gonna be the little rich girl in our church now...lol JK! PS.. Now that schools out, call me and get your bum over to my house for some Scrabble fun! Love ya!

Carly said...

congratulations sarah! I am so excited for you and your great accomplishment! Props to the nurses :)

Janell said...

You looked SO gorgeous! And I'm SO proud of you! You've done an outstanding job, and I was honored to make it out to CSUS and out to dinner, and run to starbucks a couple times and get red glitter with you...you are my BFF! =)

Anonymous said...

Sarah, we are so proud of you!!!
I as so happy we got to be part of everything. Love Grandma