Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Phantom of the Opera: A review

Last Saturday night I enjoyed my graduation present from my wonderful brother. . . . orchestra seat tickets to the last performance of The Phantom of the Opera at the Sacramento Community Theater. In addition to myself, Ryan & Kelly, Bro. & Sis. Moya, my mom and dad, James & Emily, Jared & Charity, Nate & Amanda, Ryan C. & LaChrisha and Drew also enjoyed the performance. I have to say. . . . I have seen The Phantom of the Opera at least 3 or 4 times and this performance was THE BEST YET!! I was almost brought to tears when the phantom provided such a heart wrenching performance of “the music of the night” . . . . (The phantom, listening and watching Raul and Christine sing “that’s all I ask of you” and feeling betrayed, softly sings “I gave you my music, made your song take wing . . . and now, how you’ve repaid me . . . denied me and betrayed me. . . . Christine. . . .”) and then wraps up the night with outstanding acting and singing as Christine must make a choice between freeing Raul and staying with the phantom forever or leaving Raul to perish as she makes her escape. It was all very emotional. More emotions were to come when I saw a picture of the phantom in the playbill (very nice) and decided to catch a peek of the actual actors as they were exiting the building. I was disappointed. . . . the phantom did not seem to be the same dashing man whose photograph was in the playbill, but rather an older and a bit “heftier” version. LOL! Oh well . . . he still did wonderfully! I was much pleased with the whole production and cannot thank my brother enough for this exceptional gift.


I haven't been able to stop singing "Phantom" songs since. . . *sigh*


10 comments:

East Coast-er Momma said...

Awwww, I wish I could have joined you all. I just love theater...you know me.

Vonney said...

Sigh.. wins romantic play of the year.. yet again! lol

Anonymous said...

We saw it on Thursday evening. I really thought their scene sets and staging were great. I especially liked the boat ride,with the fog and the lights and all. It looked very cool, they did a super job on that.

Janell said...

Looks sooooo awesome! I wish I could have seen it! I'm beginning to wonder how much theater they have in Canada...you'd think a lot, but I'm having trouble finding it. Glad you guys had fun! Sounds like it was gorgeously staged! The SF production was fantastic I remember. Hopefully they'll do the Scarlett Pimpernell in Sac again! I'll never forget that production! It was hilarious, intense, and made you cry all in one!

James Wilder said...

What fun it was! Emily also has not stopped singing Phantom songs....just humming throughout the week! She loved it - Les Meserables was still my fave. Great night though!

Sarah said...

Mish. . .I wish you could be here with us as well! Such great theater this season! Maybe we can see something while u are out here. . . hummm. . .

Vonney. . of the century!!

Cheryl. . yes, it was very nicely done. . . the fog was awesome! ****

Janell. . . canadian theater stinks! lol! u will just have to stay here :-)

James. . .Les Mis comes in 2nd place. . .sorry! Glad u guys went. . . the Wilder's are a blast!

Kim said...

oh I wish I could have seen it this year, thanks for the recap though, now I'll be singing the songs in my dreams(which is the only place I can sing and it sound great)

Rev. and Mrs. Zotzman's Blog said...

Josiah took me to see it as a suprise as a present before my birthday and I couldn't belive it! I had never been to anything like that before! I already loved the music and Josiah new it. You couldn't have explained it any better. It was awesome!!!!

Sarah said...

Ashley. . . wow. . .what a great boyfriend!! I would hang on to him if I were you. . . that is so sweet!! Guys. . . take a hint from Josiah! :-)

Unknown said...

Some close friends and myself had a girls weekend out a couple of years back. We saw the Broadway version of The Phantom in OK City. We were 4 seats back from the orchestra pit and it was an excellent, lovely performance.

However, my sister saw the London production first and raves that it cannot be beat. I'm sure that the atmosphere and location had a little to do with that.;) That was about 10 years ago.

She loved the show so much that her husband planned their wedding proposal around it. He, as her boyfriend at that time, took her to the Broadway production while it was on tour here in the states. He then proposed after the show. (Although he still says it was somewhat not his thing.:D) We ladies have always enjoyed it though; excellent music, staging,costuming and performance.

....just passing through.