Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bruges, Belgium






Ahhhh Bruges . . . how beautiful, quaint and relaxing you are!  I have been told by several people that you were the "favorite" . . . I had to experience you for myself :-)

Located on the upper coast of Belgium this tiny, medieval city captured my heart! From the cobblestone roadways to the quaint Bed and Breakfasts, chocolatier shops, to the beautiful "Church of Our Lady" (with an incredibly high bell tower), this little port city had proven to be a jewel in a foreign land.
(Church of our Lady as seen from the belfry)

 . . . and the waffles . . . did I mention the waffles?!?? . . . oh my!!  I am fortunate to live close enough for a overnight trip to Belgium but far enough away not to make eating the delectable waffles a habit.  My waffle was an original (powdered sugar as the only topping) and did not disappoint me in any way, shape or form.  Clayton. Beth and Range tried the chocolate and caramel and reported that they were equally as delectable.

The tallest structure of the city was the Church of our Lady with it's tower over 400 feet in height.  The inside of the church was beautifully decorated and incorporated many famous works of art, the most famous being the white marble sculpture of Madonna and Child by Michelangelo.

The Church of Our Lady was beautiful however the main attraction seemed to the be bell tower (belfry).  At just over 270 feet, this tower was a beast . . . yes beast . . . to climb!  The "beast-icity" of the tower not only came from the height but also the fact that the stairwells were so narrow as to only allow one way traffic and the stairs were very small, yet greatly inclined . . and there were 366 of them!  At the top of the bell tower we were met with a wonderful view of the city and market square.  We were also met with rain, winds, pigeons, and frightening loud bells.

As a final farewell. Bruges presented us with large pellets of hail. . . that hurt! As we scurried to find shelter we also found ourselves laughing at the ridiculousness of the ordeal . . 10 minutes later there was sunshine.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna go!!!!! 😁
❤Mom

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I just stumbled upon your blog. Wow! Your blog is like a trip down memory lane for me.

My husband was an Army officer in Germany and I recognize many of the places you write about.

You have a great gift for writing and for sharing your journeys.

Blessings!

Sue

Sarah said...

Mom . . . next time for sure!!

Sue, it is always great to hear from new people! I am so glad you have enjoyed my blog thus far! It is a pleasure to take you down memory lane :-)