Saturday, August 17, 2013

Keukenhof Gardens ~ The Garden of Europe

Ooohh how I have longed to see the tulips of the Netherlands . . . one of my many traveling dreams . . . that dream was fulfilled last April!!  I finally went to see Keukenhof . . . known as the Garden of Europe.

According to the official website for the Keukenhof Park, approximately seven million flower bulbs are planted annually in the park over a span of 79 acres.  We were told that the best time to view the park and gardens was in mid-April which is exactly when we went.  Unfortunately we had a late spring :-( On the day we visited the gardens it was raining. . . and the flowers were hiding . . . the atmosphere was not so festive as one might imagine. The flowers actually had not bloomed yet even though the website informed us that many of the flowers were blooming beautifully.  Despite the weather and loss of "bloomage"







, I am still glad we went.  We were able to see a few of the famous Holland windmills and the greenhouse that was housing the flower contest held absolutely beautiful treasures!  Though we did not walk the entire park due to the circumstances, it is apparent that during peak season the park would definitely be a site to behold.  There was no shortage of greenery however.  The lawns were perfectly manicured, complete with small waterfalls and streams running through various areas.  There were small parks for children to play in, beautiful seating arrangements for which to enjoy the sights, even a large maze made out of 10 foot hedging. 




Despite the rather high entry cost into the park, about 20 euro along with the parking cost of 6 euro, it was a good visit and another visit next year (when more flowers are in bloom) is a must!

3 comments:

Biffy said...

I had a blast. And believe me, I found the weather to be absolutely wonderful and comfortable!

Anonymous said...

You know what's funny?

When I think about my time traveling in Holland, I remember the apple cinnamon bread that we had their for breakfast. And, of course, the klumpens (sp?), a.k.a. the wooden clogs.

Your pictures are beautiful.

blessings!

Sue

Sarah said...

Biff . . . so glad you guys enjoyed it! We are so glad you came to visit . . . and you have about 15 months left if you want to make a second trip :-)

Sue . . did I miss something completely awesome by not tasting this "apple cinnamon bread"??? sounds like I did . . . ugh! Next time I go I am definitely getting some!