Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sacramento makes top 25 list -- for worst allergies


According to a recent article in the Sacramento Business Journal:

Sacramento has been ranked the nation's 22nd worst city for allergies.
Ratings of the 25 sneeziest cities were put out by the pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline, trying to promote its Flonase Nasal Spray. Data came from allergy reports to health agencies.
People in unranked San Francisco, Modesto, Lake Tahoe and Redding can wipe those smirks off their faces. Pollen in the ranked cities can spread and affect allergy sufferers up to 400 miles away, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.
The 25 worst metro areas, with their allergy specialties and percentage of population affected, are:
1. Charleston, S.C.; with oak, cedar, birch and grasses; 21.8 percent affected. 2. Houston; oak, ash, hickory, pecan, grasses; 26.9 percent.
3. Chicago; ash, oak, mulberry; 20.6 percent.
4. Fargo, N.D.; birch, oak, willow, ash; 23.3 percent.
5. Billings, Mont.; ash, cedar, poplar, cottonwood; 28.2 percent.
6. Tampa, Fla.; oak, pellitory weed, hickory, pecan; 21.8 percent.

Could this be why I am on three different types of asthma medications and cannot breathe out of my nose for the first several hours of each day?? I think so!! I have been on Advair (a preventative), Albuterol and my Nebulizer. . . all of which has been keeping me alive, but definitely not comfortable. I also looked up the allergy forcast which reported that pollen is now falling most heavily from Juniper, Oak and Sycamore trees. http://www.weather.com/ also has avaiable a handy little calendar from which you can "Plan your life with the Monthly Allergies Planner." Why wants to plan their life by a monthly allergies planner?? Not I. I think the best solution is to move to some far off land surrounded by water and plenty of fresh air. A place where I barely had to take asthma spray the whole time I was there! But I am open to suggestions . . . . one article I read said that I should move to San Diego to escape my allergy problems. Humm. . . maybe I should look for the top 25 list for the least allergies!

9 comments:

C Hendryx said...

Aww Sarah - I am very sorry about your allergies and how they affect your asthma. I live and breath perfectly without allergies in this wonderfully pollen infested location by which we are living... :) To God be the GLORY! and I will be praying for you that the pollen and allergies subside so that you can breathe with freedom and liberty for thy shnozzle :)

Vonney said...

I hear you on this one, soul sista! Seeing that I live in a high allergy area - sycamore trees line our streets, our yards, and our backyards over here, can I just say Amen and pass the kleenex...? lol
Oh, Kirky, blease include us idn your allergy prayers...lol We defednitley dneed it...Achhooo

Vonney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Wilder said...

Welcome back from camping!
I've not been too affected with allergies.

Vonney, Albert will be interested in this info. He has an allergy attack the moment we get to the park to run. Poor guy. This is good to know at least.

(Am I the only one that ever gets curious about those deleted comments? Hmmm...wonder what was said! haha)

Chris Sindle said...

Seriously I have the worst allergies ever too!!! My eyes puff up like rocky..>LOL...


PS- Sarah I love your blog!

Sarah said...

Thanks Curt! I appreciate it!

Vonney, those are sycamore trees?? how do you survive??

James, you and emily need to come with us next time!

Chris, you should try the tea bags suggested in a previous post for those eyes! Im glad someone, besides myself, gets enjoyment out of my blog! LOL!

East Coast-er Momma said...

I miss you too...
I need some friends out here! There isn't really anything to do!! hahah

Janell said...

Misha, you could come join us and we could have a sneeze party! haha!
Ok, seriously Sarah, you should move someplace where there's lots of snow and it's too cold for allergies. Someplace with high mountain tops, plenty of water, and the cleanest air you could imagine....now if we could just find this place......................................hehe!

Sarah said...

still sneezing. . . still dripping. . . still watering of the eyes. . . will it ever stop???

MAKE IT STOP!