Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Bunny Mayhem


For the last two and a half weeks I have been working temporarily at an office, covering for an employee who went on vacation. This last Monday, something quite unexpected occurred at this office. Monday morning started out like any ordinary Monday, stumbling out of bed while angrily trying to shut off the alarm. Groggily I showed up to work and began setting about the tasks that I am being paid to do. About half-way through the day, as I was scheduling appointments for clients on the computer and filing stacks of paperwork while answering the phones (I have to make it sound good, right??) my employer was on the phone with a client in her office. Now, the office is not very large and as a result I more than heard the blood curling scream that suddenly sounded throughout the building. After checking my pulse to make sure that I was still alive, I whirled around to find my employer, still on the phone, but with her feet in the air and a look of panic on her face. In the middle of the office floor sat the cutest little baby cotton tail rabbit I have ever seen. As recognition of the furry object began to set in, she simply apologized to the client and continued her conversation (which was followed by laughs and giggles when the receiver was replaced).

As I crept forward for a better look, after snapping a few photos for friends and family, the bunny suddenly made a dash back into my employer’s office and behind her desk. It took at least 15 minutes of sweet talk (and a broomstick) to coax the bunny inside of an Office Max box. By this time my employer was back on the phone (with the same client as before). As my fellow employee and I attempted to tip the box right side up and put a lid on it, the bunny made an attempt at escape. The suddenness of it all caused more screams of excitement and my employer found herself once again apologizing to the client and attempting to explain the mayhem that was occurring in the office. At last we were able to properly confine the poor creature and grant it back its freedom in the front yard. The bunny quickly jumped out of the box once the lid was removed and scampered across the yard to a nice big bush providing cover and safety, but not before giving us excitement for the day and a story to be told.

No comments: