Tuesday, September 3, 2013

On the road once again . . stop number three. . Vatican City!

Our third stop in our Italian road trip was back up again to Rome.  This day we spent most of our time in the Vatican City, mainily St. Peter's Basilica.  It seems to me as if I have used the words awesome, incredible, beautiful, amazing, etc. way too many times during my posts already so I am a little at a loss for a new word.  St. Peter's Basilica was all of these things and more!  My only regret was that we were not able to visit the Sistine Chaple (most famous of all Vatican City buildings for the painted ceiling done by Michelangelo . . . think "creation of adam") on this visit.  We had run out of time and would only be able to see one of the two . . St. Peter's Basilica or the Sistine Chaple.  Seeing as I have seen both in previous years I left the decision up to my fellow travelers.  We stuck to the basilica.  Think of the most ornate builing you have ever seen . . . add incredible paintings and sculptures. . . then add in the tomb of St. Peter . . . add some more gold to that . . . then multiply by ten. . . you have St. Peter's Basilica!!  St. Peter's is of Renaissance architecture and time period and is one of the largest churchs in the world.  St. Peter's is regarded as one of the holiest Catholic sites. It has been described as "holding a unique position in the Christian world" and as "the greatest of all churches of Christendom".  I have included some video footage so you can see for yourself the magnificence of this structure!  After spending several hours in the Vatican we then headed off northbound for our adventures to Pisa and the Cinque Terre!
 
 






 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are posting all this good stuff!!! Helps me to keep it alive in my mind!!! I wish we could do it all again!!! Unbelievable !!! But, next time we will need to explor new territory!! Keep the post coming!!! Love the pics!! Great photography!!! Love you! ~ mom

Sarah said...

hey mom! I am glad you are enjoying reliving our adventure!

Clayton has taught me a lot about framing a picture . . but I have to give him credit for most of these pics. They are mostly his :-). Love you!