Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ponderings of a nurse

I never thought I would be thinking of a change in my nursing career. . . after all Labor and Delivery was the reason I became a nurse!  L&D was my passion!  I feel honored at every delivery I am present in . . . it is a magnificent event and so life changing.  To give birth to a child is a very intimate and personal time in a person's life and I am able to be a part of it.  The feeling of helping a human being enter this world is incredible! It doesn't seem possible that life could be transferred from two separate people to create a new life . . . it truly is a miracle!

However, I have been doing some thinking lately . . .

Change is important . . . without change life becomes stagnant and robotic.  Change is not easy . . in fact I both crave and hate it!  It stresses me out . . . yet gives me hope.  Nursing is such a career in which stagnation can lead to an uncompassionate and cynical healthcare provider.  As caring for other individuals is the basis of nursing there are few things worse than having a "burnt out" nurse.  In nursing school I witnessed the cruelty of a burnt out nurse first hand.  It was not pretty.  She humiliated her patients that depended upon her for the very most basic needs a human being can have.  I cringed at her inconsiderate words and behavior.  I vowed I would never behave in the way this woman did to any of my patients.

 . . . and thus my current introspection . . .

my current thoughts are leaning towards a career in the Operating Room . . . there is so much to learn and see with a complete different skill set than the one I currently possess.  The human body is an amazing machine.  To be able to see the inner workings of this machine would be "oober cool!" I have also been contemplating medical missions for years . . . I think being an OR nurse would render me a little more valuable in such a mission. 

life is interesting . . . it is unpredictable . . .fluid . . . I want to make sure my life matters. . . that I have provided something valuable to help others lead a better life. 
 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I just retired from the Board of Nursing and I met a woman who just returned from Doctors without Borders. She loved her time while serving in Africa.

She was taking a break and then going back for another tour.

Blessings to you on your decisions.

Sue

Janelle said...

That is the most beautiful thing about nursing, and why I got in to nursing... Freedoms to explore so many fields. I know those nurses you speak of, and think it is time for them to have a change. I know you will be great no matter what field you work in. Medical missionary is such an amazing opportunity. Kristofer and I plan to get involved ourselves. There is a need for every type of nurse. Let me know if you find an organization you are interested in. We have a lot of friends that do yearly trips.

Sarah said...

Sue . . this is exactly the type of mission I would like to be a part of! Thanks for your comment!

My dearest cousin . . . thank you for your kind words :-) Wouldn't that be something if we did one together? Nursing is indeed very diverse so there is no excuse for a burnt out nurse who does not provide quality care to his/her patients. Love you!

Janell L. Coskun said...

So well-written, Sarah. I'm so proud of you, my friend, for living a meaningful life helping others. It's inspiring and beautiful! I'm sure you'll make a wise decision in your career. It would be completely fantastic to do medical services on the mission field! Also, I think it's so wise how you expressed that change is a necessary part of life whether we like it or not..Love & Prayers!

East Coast-er Momma said...

I think you will be fantastic at whatever you set your hand to, really. You are such a driven person with clear vision on your goals.
Do it! You'll be amazing in there, you have such a great heart and will really be able to put people at ease.

Sarah said...

You are both too kind :-)

Thank you for believing in me! I have some pretty amazing and supportive friends!