Saturday, December 29, 2007

Ice Skating. . Fun or Misery?



Yeah . . . sooo. . . on the subject of ice skating . . . is it fun, or misery?? I would tend to think that it would be fun IF I actually had some good ice skates for once. The typical night of ice skating is as follows: friends call up and say “hey, got a great idea! Let’s go ice skating tonight!” It really sounds like a blast so I gear up in my beanie, gloves, sweater, scarf, boots, etc. and head out for a night of fun. Once we get to the outside skating rink in downtown Sacramento we first stop by Starbuck’s to warm up with a nice caramel apple cider or perhaps a cinnamon dolce steamer. After warming up the body and soul we head over to purchase our rentals and skating tickets. All is well until we end up at the rental modular. There usually is either a line or the “staff” assigned to the rentals has somehow gone MIA. When the appropriate personnel is located or the line has moved along we indicate which size skates we wear only to be given a pair of skates two sizes too big, sopping wet inside from the last renter’s sweat and ice, and the shoe laces are either too short or the rings to string them through are missing. Ugh! The line is too long to return them for other skates and who is to say that the replacement pair will be any better? I guess they will have to do. The first five or six times around the rink is pure horror! One must grab on to anyone they can find until they feel a little more comfortable standing on metal and ice. When you finally get comfortable with skating on your own, you realize that you ankles are killing you from lack of support and the skates that are seemingly made out of wood (at least it feels like it). A break is in order to relieve the pressure ulcers that are forming on your feet. The cycle continues until you run out of time on the ice or your poor body can no longer take the abuse. The evening ends with everyone saying how much fun they had and “we have to do it again!” all the while questioning whether you ever want to hear the words “ice skating” again. Ladies and gentlemen. . . I propose a solution to this never ending cycle of misery! Let us purchase our own skates that we may enjoy the FUN that ice skating may have to offer. Let us also find bigger and better skating rinks, or better yet a frozen deserted lake, that we do not abuse and injure our fellow skaters on ice. What say ye to this proposal?? All in favor?

(I did have quite a great time with my friends . . . . except for the skates. . . I have a great blister as a result)

6 comments:

Music Eloquence said...

HAHAHAHAH! Sarah you're a great writer... very entertaining! It sounds like an enjoyable time albeit the ice skating part.

Hey now, you're from MI, you ought to be a pro on those things. Lol

Janell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janell said...

You have summed up the ice skating experience to a "T"! So I actually already got my new iceskates yesterday! Hahahaha!!! I LOVE them! You definitely gotta get some, because they were easy to skate on and very comfortable. (I'm convinced that the downtown ice rink bought a bunch of old beat-up rollerblades, sawed off the wheels, and glued on metal rods to the bottom)
I still really did have fun with you, despite my blisters too! =)

goodstewards.wordpress.com said...

I feel your pain... and that's why I have my own skates :)

Enjoying your blog and it's fun atmosphere. Thanks for sharing in such a lighthearted way, and I hope you don't mind me stopping by now and then!

Have a wonderful new year,
Jaime

Sarah said...

Jamie,

I am glad you enjoy it! :-) Thanks for stopping by! Have a great New Year yourself!


Janell,

You have me convinced. I HAVE to buy some skates before we go skating again. . . and I want to skate several times before I go back to school.

Von De,

Im glad you got a kick out of it! LOL.
Ahhh yes. . . . Michigan. . . it's in my past! LOL.

Vonney said...

Now you know why I haven't graced that ice skating rink with my presence yet, even though it is just across the street from us! Somehow, it all seemed so much more glamorous when we were kids, huh? Dreading but looking forward to the day when Jace is old enough to go...lol