Saturday, December 15, 2007

Have Yourself A Very Merry Christmas. . . .


And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.
~Dr. Seuss

Christmas is a special time, a magical season of love and laughter. Everyone of us has our own ideas of how to spend and enjoy the holiday season. When I think of December, I think of hot coco, a roaring fire, reading novels, shopping, ice skating, mistletoe (yeah, haven’t tried that one yet! Ha!), skiing in Tahoe (someday I will spend Christmas in Switzerland skiing the Alps . . .but not for a while), scarfs and gloves, family (I wish they all lived closer), games, candy canes, decorations, pine trees, boots, Christmas music, final exams :-(, egg nog, cookies and cakes, presents, snow/rain, love, lights, happiness, and the true meaning of Christmas. . . . the birth of Jesus Christ!! I truly believe that it is indeed “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!” I spent last Christmas in London, England with Ryan and Ben and while it was a completely wonderful and amazing experience, it wasn’t the same. I am looking forward to spending this Christmas with my family and friends, listening to the Christmas story, playing games and eating all day long!!

Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home!
~Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers, 1836


Christmas is a time when you get homesick - even when you're home.

~Carol Nelson




My personal top 11 Christmas songs:

1. “Once Upon a Christmas” Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers
2. “White Christmas” Bing Crosby
3. “The Christmas Song” Nat “King” Cole
4. “Little Drummer Boy” Josh Groban
5. “I Want a Hippopatamus for Christmas” Gayla Peevey
6. “A Christmas to Remember” Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers
7. “You’re a Mean One Mr. Grinch” Thurl Ravenscroft
8. “Baby it’s Cold Outside” Various Artists
9. “All I Want for Christmas is You” Mariah Carey
10. “Santa Baby” Eartha Kitt
11. "Merry Christmas Darling" Carpenters

Let Christmas not become a thing
Merely of merchant's trafficking,
Of tinsel, bell and holly wreath
And surface pleasure, but beneath
The childish glamour, let us find
Nourishment for soul and mind.
Let us follow kinder ways
Through our teeming human maze,
And help the age of peace to come
From a Dreamer's martyrdom.
~Madeline Morse

I wish you ALL a very MERRY CHRISTMAS filled with Love and Joy!!
Love ~ Sarah, Mika & Fritz

9 comments:

James Wilder said...

Sarah,
Love this post. Wish you'd share it with M242 peeps and post it on there!
Merry Christmas to you as well!

Anonymous said...

Sarah I love your content... all the quotes and personal feelings. This was an enjoyable read. I like the quote about being homesick even when you're home. I've actually thought of that before... maybe its a melancholy feeling we get thinking about Christmas pasts, or remembering the time we really did believe in Santa. Regardless, I like the post. Merry Christmas to you!!

Anonymous said...

Song #8 sung by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton will melt the ice off the north pole!!!!!

Anonymous said...

correction! it's Rod Stewart and Dolly Parton

Vonney said...

Loved this post too! AAAAHHHH the feeling of Christmas! Last year we spent it with your parents and, while it was soooo much fun, I know they missed you and Ryan. Just got your Xmas card! Hung it up for the whole world to see! haha Love ya!

Music Eloquence said...

BTW great photo!

Sarah said...

Thanks Von De Leigh. . . . Misha took them for me this year. What a FABULOUS job she did! She really is awesome.

Janell said...

Misha really did do a great job! Your pics are so cute!!
Do you think Christmas is your very favorite holiday? I think it is mine...I wish I could have gone to London with you guys last year, but at the time it just wasn't working out. If you guys invite me again, I'll go. ;)
Well, I'm excited to give you your Christmas gift! =) And congrats on being done with finals! Woo hoo! A nice winter break now! We'll get to go skiing! yay!!

Sarah said...

James, I could never figure out how to post on M242 blog. Maybe you can help me out with that?? It's kinda too late to post this now. . . . but maybe other stuff in the future?