Monday, August 27, 2007

One CRAZY week in August. . . .

Last week I had quite the adventure. . . . my cousin Ryan (whom I haven’t seen in YEARS) and his friend Matt (whom I have NEVER seen) came out to visit for a week. I really didn’t know what to expect and was therefore more nervous that I usually would have been when I found out I had to pick them up at the airport ALL BY MYSELF!! Yikes!! I am not the most social person when I don’t know someone very well so I really pushed myself to the limits! Ha!! The first and second day that they were here was a little awkward for me, trying to get to know them and all, but by the end of the week I felt like I had known them my whole life! (they were probably wishing that I would go back to how I was the first two days of their trip. . . . hehehe) We did have quite a blast and laughed most of the time . . . usually at Matt’s expense. He handled it rather well though, considering.



Our first day together consisted of walking around Old Sac where the streets were filled with participants in a “rubber duck” race (?? Yeah. . I have no idea??) followed by a horrific car ride over to Crepeville for some lunch. We then went to the state capital and enjoyed a nice tour through the Assembly and Senate chambers as well as the rest of the capital building. Sutter’s Fort was next on the list (which I found completely boring. . . I didn’t let them know that though as they seemed to be enjoying it “ok”) and then back to my house where we enjoyed the company of the college and career group as well as other family friends.




Day 2 ~ Church!!! . . . and a little relaxing around the house. Don’t we look good?? hehe



Day 3 ~ We headed out to San Francisco for a day of fun in the sun!! Our first stop was Alcatraz which was very interesting and neat-o. . . then we met up with this crazy red headed girl (??) and hit the main attractions such as the golden gate bridge, Lombard street, Union Square, China town, and Mitchell’s ice cream. We began to feel quite comfortable with each other and as a result were a bit more retarded! (makes for great pictures though)



Lombard Street



Day 4 found us traveling through the gold mining city of Murphy’s were we enjoyed Mercer Caverns, panned for gold (with our hands until Ryan found a pan), and then on to the Calaveras Big Trees. We had a grand ol’time!


While walking through a "tree tunnel" we were attacked by man eating bats and barely escaped!! If you look close enough you can see one of these bats directly above Matt's head.



Biggest "nugget" of gold in the WORLD!! (I think)



Ryan, Ryan, Ryan. . . . . always the jokester!


Day 5 ~ Yosemite!!! After a very LONG drive we found ourselves looking at the beauty of Yosemite National park. . . El Capitan and Half Dome were just a few of the sites we enjoyed. The waterfalls were lacking, as someone had apparently shut off the faucets and forgot to turn them back on, but we were able to see a bear and some deer which was exciting. On the way home Matt begged me for some of my shiny lip gloss. . after much pleading I gave in and got some great “smoochy” pictures as a result. . . (it might not have happened exactly that way. . but it happened)



Days 6 & 7 ~ We enjoyed the beauty of Monterey and Carmel with my parents . . . the weather was absolutely PERFECT!! We also saw Peter Pan at the forest theatre and the boys got to try out a little California diving!






Day 8 ~ Ate a late breakfast (1 o’clock) and then went to the state fair to watch the Rock Church choir perform. . . . also were able to see the baby animals (awww) and watch the rodeo (saw some blood on that one!!).


6 comments:

East Coast-er Momma said...

Super-de-doodle-dee-cute! Too bad I'm an old maid and couldn't have kept up with you....hahah

Janell said...

As Misha says, "super-de-doodle-dee-cute!" What an awesome week!!! Man, I wish I hadn't had to work...and Saturday I was out of town! Man!!! Looks like you guys had a blast though...those pigs are adorable!!!! (I mean the baby ones at the fair!) LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah's lunch was bought for her AND she sat between 2 boys at church. LIBERAL :)

Anonymous said...

PS- I'm glad I was honored enough to be your own personal GPS in San Francisco. I'd hate for you to get assualted by another taxi driver and wait another YEAR to come see me :(

Sarah said...

personal GPS. . . ha!! surrreee. . . has it really been a year??;-)

jessica p said...

It looks like you all had so much fun! You really traveled quite a bit.