Friday, July 26, 2013

The Quest for the Ultimate Cuckoo-Clock

Just about as soon as we arrived in Germany I was drawn to the cuckoo-clocks that were on display at the BX (exchange . . basically a very large store that sells just about anything you could possibly want . . located on base).  There was one particular clock, Hansel and Gretel, that I was drawn to.  Every chance I got I would steal away from my duties that brought me to the BX to catch a glance and make sure it was still there.  I was encouraged by co-workers not to even think about buying a clock at the BX . . instead just take a trip down to the Black Forrest where the clocks are actually made.  Hummm . . . why not?!?  It is only about a 3 hour drive from where we live. 

The opportunity presented itself on a road trip with my good buddies, Beth and Range.  We drove down through the black forrest on our way to Bavaria and stopped in Triberg to do a little shopping!  The first place we stopped at was the House of 1,000 clocks where they boast they have the "largest cuckoo-clock in the world".  It was pretty large. . . but I dunno . . I expected bigger I guess!  I mean, common!!  If you are going to boast about something shouldn't it be extra monumental? Or do I expect to much? . . . it was still a good picture point though :-)

The store was true to it's name (although I didn't actually count every single one of them) and carried much more than just clocks. . trinkets, gifts, little wooden soldiers and ceramic Bavarian houses.  But Alas, my clock was not to be found in this store.  We grabbed a quick bite to eat before heading off to bed . . . had to get up early and hit the next 10 cuckoo-clock stores!




 
We started the next day off by driving into downtown Triberg  . . . it was beautiful!  There is a lovely waterfall (we didn't have time to climb as we were taking my beloved friends onward to Neuschwanstein Castle . . .aka "Disney" Castle) and the town was quaint and colorful.  We found another store that boasted to have the "Largest Working Cuckoo-Clock" and we were able to see the inner workings of this clock. . . pretty cool!  After stopping at approximately 5 different stores and looking at every single clock in each place. . . I decided . . . that none beat the little clock I found back at the Exchange on Ramstein Base!!  LOL!!  Ugh!
 
I couldn't wait to get back into town and get my hands on that little clock!  When we finally raced into the store (about three days later) I was met with utter disappointment. . . . the clock was no longer there!!  A store attendant took down my information just in case they could get ahold of another one but for the time being I was out of luck . . . . my heart was plunged into icy darkness. . . I rushed home to see if I could find the same clock online. . no . . . ebay?. . . no. . . the Hubert Herr (manufacturer) website?? . . no . . .called the actual Hubert Herr store here in Germany . . . no
 
About a week into my heartbreak I received a call from the BX that my clock would arrive in two weeks!!  I was elated!!  When it finally came in I was overjoyed!!  . . . only to find out that the picture on the outside of the box was a completely different (and not as cool) Hansel and Gretel clock!  NOOOOOOOOOOO my heart cried!!  I think the store attendant saw the complete and utter disappointment and unbelief on my face. . . it was clear to all.  I tore open the box right in the middle of the store . . . .
 
but this story has a good ending :-)  It actually WAS the correct clock with the wrong picture on the outside of the box.  It was mine at last.  I am happy to report that I still love my little clock and it sits happily perched on my living room wall to the left of our family moose head. . . it is happy in it's rightful place.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this story!!! I love ALL YOUR STORIES!!! I'm now waiting to read your books when they get published! Lol ... You are so good! 😘~ mom