Tuesday, January 1, 2013

LRMC - my new place of employment



 
My new life here in Germany has begun as I am not settling in to my position as a Labor and Delivery nurse at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center.  It has so far been a pretty great place to work!  There are definitely differences between the "civilian" hospital and the "military" hospital. . most being with charting.  I have some great co-workers and the physicians are actually pleasant!!  Imagine that! OB docs that are respectful of their fellow colleagues!  It is truly amazing to work on a unit that you are not constantly belittled by those you are working with.  I still have a lot of adjusting to do and I am sure that will take some time. . . but I am enjoying working my way into the fabric of this new position.  There are some great perks working here as well!  Not only is this the only military facility to include all three branches of military (army, navy and air force) but all wounded warriors from down range and around the world are seen here and LRMC.  It is a great honor to serve these warriors in any way possible!  We also get to meet some pretty cool people!  For the holiday visit this year I was able to meet several celebrities.  Kelly Pickler (one of the contestants in American Idol several years ago and is continuing quite successfully in her music career), Iliza Shlesinger (a comedian that recently was on "the last comic standing"), Ross Detwiler and Craig Stammen (both pitchers for the Washington Nationals), and Matt Hendricks (NHL hockey player from the Washington Capitals).


 

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Glad all is going great! Xoxo

Brigitte said...

Hi Sarah,
I just came across your blog since I am scheduled to fly to Landstuhl on February 8th for a job at LRMC. Since I am filling one of the NNP positions there, I am sure that I will be seeing you in person sometime soon :)!
I enjoyed reading about your experiences so far and it was encouraging to me to hear such up-to-date news from someone already there on the ground. Thank you!

Sarah said...

Hi Brigitte!! Excited to meet you!! Good luck on in-processing :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah!

I came across your blog as well because I was interested in a postiion offered to me at Landstuhl for a psychiatric NP position. I have loved your blog thus far but had a question. Your pups are adorable, I have 2 of my own. How difficult has it been or do you think it would be to find a paid house sitter/dog sitter on a weekend for trips to europe. Thanks so much (my email too in case, pittnurse21@gmail.com)

JULIE

Sarah said...

Hey Julie! So far I haven't had a problem finding a sitter for my pups. On my unit quite a few of the nurses have dogs and they have developed a system that works. We kinda trade off watching each others dogs and they will watch my dogs in return. There is also quite a few kennels in the area. . . im just a little scared to use them. I have heard from others that Rainbow farms is great if you want to kennel them. You can also look on Ramstienyardsales.com to find a sitter. Traveling is the norm here so I don't think you will have a problem. I could also watch them for you if I am home :-)

Unknown said...

Sarah~

Thanks for the prompt response back, I know its an odd worry, but I'd hate to travel half a way around the world just to stay at home with my dogs :-) appreciate the feedback, and if I accept the position, I'll buy you a drink of your choosing!

JULIE

Unknown said...

Thanks for getting back to me so fast, its odd the things you worry about when such an opportunity presents itself, thanks for the great info and I will owe you a beer(or drink of your choosing) if I accept the postition.

Sarah said...

No problem! I am glad to help! I know how stressful it is moving half way around the world. . . if you have any other questions about the facility let me know. . . I'll try to find the answer if I don't know it :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah!

Finally got word I was accepted for the position and will be heading there in end of October, would love to meet you and your pups and buy you a beer!!!!

Julie
pittnurse21@gmail.com

Sarah said...

Julie, that's awesome!! Congrats! I am looking forward to meeting you! It can be a had area to assimilate into so if you need any help or have any questions just let me know! See you soon!

Rebecca Molnar said...

I am glad you are enjoying it. I came across your blog when was looking for a picture of the hospital to show my son. He was born at Landstuhl hospital on August 24, 1987. I loved it over there and hope although many changes since I lived there (the wall was still up then) that you enjoy it as much as I did. I can't wait to come back and visit the area as I have not been back since 1989. Good luck to you!