Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Goodbye USA

Today we leave on our adventure . . across seas and land. . . 22 hours of flying time . . to the seventh-largest country in the world, the second-largest population in the world and one of the oldest civilizations in the world.
I have found and interested description of India as "the land of dreams and romance, of fabulous wealth and fabulous poverty, of splendor and rags, of palaces and hovels, of famine and pestilence, of genies and giants and Aladdin lamps, of tigers and elephants, the cobra and the jungle, the country of a hundred nations and a hundred tongues, of a thousand religions and two million gods. . ." (Mark Twain 1835-1910)
 
On the itinerary are the cities of Dehli, Agra and Jaipur, in which we will experience a sunrise tour of the Taj Mahal, view such wonders as the Red Fort (built in 1648), Laxmi Narayan Temple (in honor of the Hindu goddess of wealth), Jama Masjid (India's largest mosque), Qutab Minar, Quwwat-ul-Islam Masjid (first mosque in India), Agra Fort, Itmad-Ud-Daula ("baby Taj") and the Amber Fort (hopefully by way of elephant).
 
We are thrilled beyond words as this is a completely new experience for both of us.  I will try and update this blog as much as possible with our adventures, pictures and, I am sure, a vast deal of information gleaned.
 
Until next time. . . ciao . . adios. . arrivederci. . Auf wiedersehen . . toodles . . . and farewell!

9 comments:

Janell said...

You'll have to learn how to say "Farewell" in Indian! (or whatever language it is they speak; slipping my mind right now lol!) Can't wait to see pics of all these places! Be super safe! Love u both!

Sarah said...

ha!! There are many different languages used in India. . . couldn't possibly learn them all!

East Coast-er Momma said...

I would say that I'm going to miss you, but I already do :)

You have such a great knack for making things *happen*. Love your love for life my sweet.

East Coast-er Momma said...

I would said I'm going to miss you, but I already do.

You have such a knack for making things *happen*. I love your love for life, my sweet.

Scott Wilder said...

Awesome! Have fun you guys

Scott Wilder said...

Awesome! Sounds like it will be a blast

Anonymous said...

Have fun!!!!!!!!!! I am excited for you....Be safe and come back to see me..We will have lots of fun on the cruise....Looking forward to see many pictures..Love Grandma

Lisa C. said...

Wow Sarah! This sounds like a wonderful trip. Safe travels!

Biffy said...

HAHAH! Janell! You're funny! I believe Hindi is the most native language. Angela, my sister in law says those cities are the best. She grew up just outside of Delhi. Have fun! I'll miss you!