Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Annual Shot! Do you have it??

The Flu season is here!! Have you received your flu shot yet?? I got mine today while at work. . . I have to admit it was slightly painful and left my arm a little sore, but I figure it will be well worth the inconvenience and pain if it will perhaps protect me from illness and several days of missed work. I, along with the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) recommend that everyone receive a yearly flu vaccination. Here are some interesting facts I compiled from the CDC website:

The flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The best way to prevent the flu is by getting a flu vaccination each year.

Every year in the United States, on average:
• 5% to 20% of the population gets the flu;
• more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu complications
• about 36,000 people die from flu.

Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), are at high risk for serious flu complications.

Symptoms of flu include:
• fever (usually high)
• headache
• extreme tiredness
• dry cough
• sore throat
• runny or stuffy nose
• muscle aches
• Stomach symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea

Flu viruses spread mainly from person to person through coughing or sneezing of people with influenza. Sometimes people may become infected by touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose. Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 days after becoming sick. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick.

It is recommended that everyone recieve the vaccine, but especially high risk populations such as people over 50 years old, pregnant women, and health care workers.

Some people should not be vaccinated without first consulting a physician. They include:
• People who have a severe allergy to chicken eggs.
• People who have had a severe reaction to an influenza vaccination in the past.
• People who developed Guillain-BarrĂ© syndrome (GBS) within 6 weeks of getting an influenza vaccine previously.
• Children less than 6 months of age (influenza vaccine is not approved for use in this age group).
• People who have a moderate or severe illness with a fever should wait to get vaccinated until their symptoms lessen.

CDC Flu Website: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

7 comments:

TRC Rockers said...

Coming from a generation w/o flu and chicken pox vaccines I laughed when I read your blog. Then I re-read it. I have kids to care for and tests to study for. If I get sick. . . AAAGH!!! Alright, I'm covinced!

Janell said...

I'm not convinced! Everytime I got one, I got sick. It didn't seem to do much, and I think there's still a lot to be said for the natural immunity system in our bodies. If I constantly help it out with stuff, it will not work as hard, right? Makes sense to me! (But I'm not the nurse here!)
But then again, if I have kids or get old someday I'll definitely do it then. =)

Vonney said...

You and C look great together!!!! Love ya! Hope all is well with your new job! We need to get together soon!!

Biffy said...

I've never had a flu shot. I've never gotten so sick I had to stay in bed either. Hmmmm.... I think it's a conspiracy!!

Sarah said...

well. . .you don't have to be convinced or not convinced. . . i simply provided you all with the information to make an informed decision. i think i have only had the flu shot a couple times in my life, and i am still alive. . .yet, considering that i now have two major risk factors for complications (asthma and a health care professional working with sick people, i figured it would be best if i went ahead and got it this year. the rest of you, the information is provided. . do what you will. . . :-)

Sarah said...

Vonney ~ by the way. . .thanks!! yes, we do need to get together soon. . i believe you still have a magazine article to give me?? :-)

Carissa Lopez. said...

When I worked at the Clinic I personally used to give flu shots all the time! thankfully I have mine as well!